Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pink shoes and purses: Ann Marie

Stopped by the downtown Nordstrom today to see my cousin Ann Marie, who'll expertly guide you through the colorful labyrinth that is Nordstrom Designer Handbags.

Ann Marie has always had un senso elegante stile (I can say that because she's half Italian), and today she looked fantastic, as always. Don't the pink flats just make the outfit?

Because I tend to shop by feel (If I don't like the feel of a textile, why would I want it near my body?), I became aware that, while we chatted, I was being too fondley with the leather goods. I had to remind myself that, no, you are not in a tack shop in 1975 (which is a perfectly approprite time and place to put your hands all over bridles and saddles), and that you are in a very nice department store, so stop handling that red Proenza Schouler bag as if it were a blob of cinnamon roll dough.

By the way, Ann Marie gave me some interesting info on purse leather: when leather is tanned, it's fed through rollers to press it smooth. Then it's put through another treatment to add the grain back in. So the different finishes and textures on leather goods are actually created per the designer's specifications.

So next time you go feeling up handbags, thank your lucky stars for those dudes (or ladies) manning those big roller machines in the tannery. They're keeping you stylin'.

1 comment :

  1. Has Ann Marie been at Nordstrom for years? I think I bought my Givenchy bag from her. I went in to purchase this bag when I found out we were moving to London and I need a slouchy large back to wear walking London. She chose this bag and told me it would be perfect. She was RIGHT! Shop with her if you want expert advice and no pressure to buy. Your cousin?! I never knew. I went in to tell her how perfect the bag is and thank her for her expertise. Ask her if she remembers me.

    ReplyDelete